How to be a Responsible Pet Owner
As pet parents ourselves, we know you only want the best for your fur babies, so you do your best to be a responsible pet parent. February is Responsible Pet Parent Month, so take a look at our tips on how to be a responsible pet parent below!
- Before you decide to buy or adopt a pet, you need to consider your lifestyle. Be responsible by making sure you have enough time, money and energy to commit to taking care of this 4-legged baby.
- Research to find out what food, plants or items around your living quarters are potential hazards, then pet proof your home so they don’t get into anything dangerous or ingest anything poisonous.
- Clean up after your pet when you take them on walks.
- Take your pet to the vet and keep them current on all vaccinations.
- Get your pet spayed or neutered.
- Prepare an emergency disaster kit for your pet in case a hurricane, tornado, or large storm hits your area.
- Get your pet a leash and tags that list your contact information in case they ever get lost or separated from you.
- Consider getting your pet microchipped so you can find your lost pet if they are brought to a shelter or vet.
- Register your pet with the state.
- Train your pet not to bite or jump on visitors.
- Teach your pet to obey commands.
And finally, be a responsible pet owner by protecting them with 4Paws Insurance. 4Paws helps you to keep your pet happy and healthy in case of illness or injury. So, even though you can’t predict when you may need to take your furry friend to the vet, or how much it may cost, you can feel at ease when they’re protected with 4Paws!